Eating a balanced diet is not always easy, even if you know exactly what you should be getting in every meal to give your body what it needs. And the main culprit: time. Most of us are busy and often we just can't fit it in to cook for every meal. Or we don't get the chance to make it to the market after work. Or we oversleep and have to run out the door in the morning.
One convenient and do-able solution is to keep easy-prep or grab-n-go foods on hand, like fresh fruit, raw seeds and nuts , and liquid whey protein or whey protein shake powder to make a quick smoothie.
A good rule of thumb for eating healthy is a fist, a thumb, and a fist with every meal
A good rule of thumb for eating healthy is a fist, a thumb, and a fist with every meal:
a fist of protein, like 4 - 6 oz of lean chicken; lentils and tofu; or whey liquid protein or pure protein shake powder mixed with water for a high protein drink a thumb of good fats, like liquid fish oil, raw flaxseeds or mixed seeds/nuts a fist of unprocessed carbs, like raw or leafy veggies, oatmeal or brown rice
The carbs are our energy food. They convert into glucose and feed our brain so we can think clearly and so that our brains can keep our bodies running smoothly. Ideally, our bodies should have balanced blood glucose levels. That's where the protein and fatty oils come in. They work to make sure the carb-to-glucose conversion is time-released. And that's why it's very important that we get this fist, thumb, fist balance.
What usually happens when we're in a rush though is that we'll grab the carbs and skip the protein and end up in a sugar rush followed by a sugar crash and no energy.
And that's where whey protein shakes, liquid whey and protein drink smoothies come in. These high protein drinks not only make a tasty dish but with the best protein shake, you're also getting the ideal, easy to absorb, pure protein to balance out the rest of your meal so that your blood glucose levels remain stable.
Just add water to your vanilla or chocolate protein shake or smoothie mix and go. That's all it takes if you're really in a rush and you'll be set with an excellent source of high quality protein.
Whey protein is a particularly good source of protein because it's pure, clean, and one of the most easily absorbed sources of protein there is. In fact, whey protein has the highest biological value -- a measure of nitrogen retained for growth or maintenance -- of any protein.)
If you have a few extra moments in your busy schedule, you can throw your whey protein drink mix/ high protein drink in the blender and get creative with some tasty add-ins, like fresh fruit, yogurt, Greenergy and/or nuts and seeds.
Try to steer clear of certain items when you mix your protein drinks and smoothies. Fruit juice, sugar, honey, granola, dried fruit and marmalade, for example, add too much processed sugar to your protien shakes and smoothies, defeating the purpose of using the high protein in high protein shakes/drinks/smoothies to stabilize glucose.
Here are some ideas for whey protein shakes and smoothies. Just remember, the best protein drinks are the ones that suit your taste because those are the ones you'll enjoy and will actually make!
(For those of you really organized folks, most of these protien drinks can be prepared ahead of time or the night before.)
Ultra-Quick Whey Protein Shake Fix
Your basic pure protein shake. Gets you the protein you need to stabilize your blood sugar and keep your metabolism working for you burning fat and providing you with the healthy energy you need.
- Vanilla or chocolate whey protein shake mix + water ... and stir. - Vanilla or chocolate whey protein shake mix + water + ground flax/nuts ... and stir.
Quick Whey Protein Shake Fix
Your basic protein shake with a little pizzazz. You'll need a blender or some kind or food processor. Add ice for a creamier, thicker shake.
- Vanilla or chocolate whey protein shake mix + water + fresh fruit (berries are best) + ground flax/nuts ... and blend. - Vanilla yogurt + apples, + vanilla protein shake powder + a spoonful of omega oil blend ... and blend. - "The LEANegizer" – vanilla protein + chopped green apple + Greenergy + raw almonds + ice ... and blend. - "Raspberry Rhubarb Magic" – vanilla whey protein + chopped frozen rhubarb + frozen raspberries ... and blend. - "Choc Banana Nut" – chocolate whey protein + frozen banana + 1 tbsp raw cashew butter ... and blend.
See "Ultimate EnergyFirst Shake" below for a basic quick whey protein shake and a link to more fabulous whey shake recipes.
Multi-Minute Whey Protein Fix
Your fancy whey protein smoothie or whey protein dish. This requires just a bit more food prep. You'll need a blender or food processor for some.
- Cooked oatmeal + yogurt + fresh fruit + vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder ... and blend. - Cooked oatmeal topped with yogurt + pre-ground nuts + fresh cut fruit + protein powder. - Multi-grain toast or bagel topped with omega blend oil + cream cheese + cinnamon and/or vanilla or chocolate protein powder.
The Ultimate EnergyFirst Shake
Step 1 -- Add the following ingredients into a blender:
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water, non-fat milk, plain soy milk, or plain almond milk. - 2-3 scoops of EnergyFirst ProEnergy Protein Powder - 1 tablespoon EnergyFirst OmegaEnergy Oil Blend or 1 tablespoon EnergyFirst OmegaEnergy Mix Blend (ground seed) (good fat) - 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh or frozen (unsweetened) fruit or 1/4 cup of raw old- fashioned oatmeal (good carbs) - 1 scoop of EnergyFirst Greenergy for an extra energy and an immune system boost (greens)
- Add ice for a thicker, creamier shake. - Add natural essences like vanilla, mint, or almond essence, and spices like cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, or ginger.
Step 2 -- Blend to desired smoothness and enjoy.
This recipe makes a 32-ounce whey protien shake. Drink the full shake for a complete meal. Drink half for a smaller meal.
- Traveling? Pack your whey drink so you can drink protein whey on the go. Pure protein shakes like EnergyFirst vanilla and chocolate whey protein drink powder mixes come in easy to carry bottles that you can pop right into your purse, briefcase or carry-on bag. Grab a paper cup, pour in the whey protein powder, add water and you're set. This is something you can do in your hotel room, the car or even an airplane. - Midnight fridge raider? You can mix a whey protein shake or smoothie in your sleep! - Fussy kids not eating their lentils or fish? Most kids love shakes and smoothies! Mix tasty berries with a whey protein shake and you have a tasty treat instead of must-have meat. - Can't eat any more tofu or chicken? Mix yourself a whey protein smoothie or shake instead just to mix things up a little. Even you deserve a tasty treat instead of legumes or meat for dinner once in a while. - Craving sweets? Or a snack? Whey protein shakes and smoothies can even pull their own in the dessert category -- and they're much better for you than the sugar-only version. In other words, you can have a smoothie or shake with all the yummy delicious flavor to satisfy that sweet tooth, without all the sugar. AND you get your dose of protein to maintain your optimal blood sugar level so your metabolism can keep burning fat instead of storing it.